We are settling in. The new normal of being parents is actually starting to feel normal, and it’s pretty great.
Unfortunately my ability to write coherently –or write anything– about all these happy changes and moments seems to be nill. My brain and body are just tired whenever I want to capture a cool story, and I have more than a few unfinished drafts waiting for inspiration.
In the meantime, I’ll just give a quick rundown of the past month.
– Little dude is nearly 12 pounds. Holy cow! We’ve been the crazy new parents weighing him every week on our food/meat scale. 11 pounds 14 ounces yesterday. Whew!
– Last weekend my sisters hosted us a beautiful baby shower. It was so fun to have baby present to meet relatives and friends. Even though we had to buy a few extra things before his birth I wouldn’t have it any other way. (We did get lots of great hand-me-downs before his arrival too.)
-I got almost zero pictures from said shower because we were all too busy visiting. Oops. Here’s an attempt at a family photo we took later that day.
It was also great to have cousins and aunties visit over that weekend!
– We finished planting our fields several weeks ago and spring is quickly turning to summer. We’ll be cutting hay soon. It’s getting easier to do things at the farm with baby in tow, but most days I don’t have to. That’s because we started daycare. It felt early and soon and strange, but our provider is so wonderful. She helped me through the new mom questions, and is a perfect fit for us. This is such a blessing.
-The nursery is almost finished. Finally. 😄 We may not be the fastest, but it has proved challenging to fit in projects with a farm and a baby. When he arrived a few weeks early all we really had left was trim and baseboards plus curtains and decoration. Even a small room requires more trim than you’d think, and we sanded and finished it ourselves with a clear laquer. JR was more of the motivation behind new trim than me, but I do love the look of the bright, light wood.
– It’s been challenging because his dresser still isn’t set up and baby stuff is temporarily stored everywhere, but we’ve made it work. Little dude is just about ready to move out of his bassinet in the main room into his own room and crib. Hopefully we’ll get the final trim up this week, and then I see if I have any energy left for decorations!
– The crib is basically the only thing in the room to allow us space to finish working. The walls turned out more blue than we thought. We tried to pick a more silvery blue-grey color, but I actually love this. And little dude is a boy so it worked out!
– On the running front I’ve made it out for a slow jog exactly twice. It feels good to be out there, but he gets fussy so often in the early morning whenever I’m thinking of going. And sometimes I just can’t peel myself off the couch. In other excuses, the car seat adapter for my running stroller was out of stock for awhile and then I got sent the wrong one. But the correct one is supposed to show up TOMORROW. I’m excited to try it out, even if we start with walking.
-It’s amazing how much coffee I require these days, but my little dude is worth every lost minute of sleep.