When asked about my running background, I generally say I’ve been running somewhat consistently since my best friend convinced me to join the track team in 7th grade. I ran hurdles and some sprints on the track, got a lot of skinned up knees, and eventually became a track drop-out. I balanced a lot of activities and work in high school, so running got left behind because I just wasn’t very good at it.
Fast forward to college, and I morphed into more of a casual jogger. I didn’t run far or fast, but I did keep at it.
The following year something clicked in my brain, and I started to really enjoy time spent running. I needed it.
I ran my first half marathon in 2009, and I’ve just kept going. A reasonable balance is important to me, especially in the midst of busy farm life, so sometimes I take weeks off or go 6 months without a race.
And sometimes I have a big race goal that I go after with all I’ve got. Running is a lifetime journey, and I’m determined to keep enjoying it as long as I can.
Current lifetime personal bests:
- 5K- 23:10 – February, 2012 (7:28 pace)
- 10K - 50:38 – July, 2013 (8:10 pace)
- 10 Mile - 1:27:47 – October, 2012 (8:47 pace)
- Half-Marathon - 1:50:38 – April, 2014 (8:27 pace)
- 20 Mile - 3:23:36 – April, 2011 (10:10 pace)
- Marathon - 3:59:52 – June, 2014 (9:10 pace)
Yearly Running Recaps